Sunday, January 1, 2012

This is the start!

Snuggled underneath a pile of blankets, I listened for the sounds of the morning.  Where were the trains, the roosters, the dogs? Silence. I saw stars through the window, but all I heard was the sound of breathing.  Was everyone waiting for the new year to begin too?

Popped my feet out from under the covers, fished toes around for my fuzzy slippers.  So what will this year bring?  I'm not one to make resolutions, but I do like to set goals. 

For New Years resolutions to take hold, according to this article, they say resolutions should be realistic, you should form a specific plan, acknowledge your building confidence as you move forward (as well as the inevitability of future "slips"), and publicly declare your resolution.  I LOVE this last part:  letting others know you're working on a goal will keep you from straying.  In fact, there's a great deal of power in telling people what you want in life.  A wise woman once told me, once you know what you want, you should tell at least THREE people.  Why three?  I'm not sure, but maybe it has to do with solidifying your resolve....talking about it three times internalizes the goal, brings it inside, helps you invest in it.

So here are my goals for 2012:
Franklin Mountains State Park, location
for the Jack Rabbit Classic trail run, one of my goals for 2012~
El Capitan at Guadalupe Mountains National Park--Guadalupe Peak is right behind it!
  • I want to do at least one competitive trail run this year, and I think I'll accomplish this one early, as I've got the 12th Annual Jack Rabbit Classic in the Franklin Mountains (February 26) on my calendar.  http://raceadventuresunlimited.com/  (And I want to focus on speeding up my 5K times, so I'll try as many of those as I can fit in!)
  • I want to this to be a cross-training year, including hiking, road and trail running, and road and mountain biking.  I'm going to be traveling quite a bit for work, so I'm going "light" on mileage goals for running and sticking to shorter race distances...1000K sounds like quite a bit...actually it is just under 12 miles a week. 
  • 2012 will be the "Year of the Ab, the Tricep and Bicep."   Actually that's just shorthand for the Year of "Getting Back to Weight Training," since I've slacked off that important work for a couple of years now.  And it shows.
  • I'm definitely climbing Guadalupe Peak again, the highest point in Texas.  As a matter of fact, our Texas Mountain Trail is teaming up with Guadalupe Mountains National Park and GeoBetty.com on a hiking challenge in honor of the national park's 40th anniversary.  Stay tuned! 
  • I've also been slacking on stretching out those muscles...so adding regular stretching sessions back into my workout routine will be on the docket for this year.
  • And in general, keeping an eye on nutrition, including adequate hydration and vitamin-taking! 
And now that I've said it, I'm accountable.  Bring it on, 2012.

Note:  the year had a chilly start..just back from a chilly (frigid, actually) three mile run on rugged ranch road...oooooh eeeh!

No comments:

Post a Comment